Wednesday 3 October 2012

What if Your Coworkers Acted Like Celebrities?



It seems to me that celebrities, be they entertainers, athletes, or even politicians, have a different set of rules than the rest of us.  I often wonder what the ramifications would be if workplace rules applied to them.

For instance: a couple of weeks ago, a CFL player was caught mooning the opposing team's fans. I tend to see professional athletes as either the PR department or sales department of a company.  They are the face of their team after all.  So imagine for a minute if one of your outside sales reps mooned your clients.  Do you  think that he would get away with only an apology and a fine?  Probably not.

And what about hockey?  It is well known that there is fighting in hockey.  While not exactly sanctioned, it's not exactly discouraged either.  Players fight and then they are punished for 2 or 5 minutes and then they return to work, sometimes they get to take the day off before returning.  Can you imagine if Bob and Mike from accounting were to throw down their calculators in the hall one day and start hammering on each other?  I highly doubt that the only "penalty" that they would receive would be to go home for the rest of the day.

Maybe I've worked in HR/Staffing for too long, whenever I hear of any such incidences I always try to put it in the context of the regular workplace.  Oftentimes I wish that others would too.

No comments: